Emotional factors that spread AIDS

I am revisiting my blog post on AIDS on this day Dec 1st. 2009 :)

Two years ago on this day i wrote a post "Fight Against AIDS" as an attempt for spreading awareness. I sent it out as a mailer, and was most happy when 2 months later I received the same mailer forwarded by one of my friend.

Here i am today to just with the thought of what actually causes AIDS...

I did not get answers, but more questions came to mind... is it really the virus that causes AIDS? or is it our personality that spreads AIDS? If we look at evolution, The virus was just created for what it was meant to do... and it is doing its duty.

Though there are several technical reasons on how the virus spreads and a campaign is on, for creating awareness, what i realized is, they are mostly the emotions and attitudes that cause the spread of HIV, and there is a need for awareness campaign on emotions and attitudes that spread it...

I just listed a few I got to my mind, please comment on to add more.

  • Instant Gratification: Most of the times this is the reason which makes us weak in the moment, and closes our thinking capability for seeking Instant Gratification.
  • Making Assumptions: The attitude of assuming that someone or something would not be carrying the virus is making an "Ass of  U". Here I don't mean to say be cynical of everything, it just being careful. Precaution doesn't mean lack of trust, its just being cautious.
  • Impatience: It just asks for protection! If we don't have time to protect ourselves, we would not have time to live. :)
  • Overconfidence: Confidence that you will not get infected just gets you "Over!" and Murphy's law are always active.
Again the mantra to be safe is very simple "Be Consious" . As an optimist, i feel the virus was born to make us stronger, to increase our will power to "Control our Emotions"!

So.. lets start spreading the awareness on these factors, Share on Facebook

Please help me adding more emotions that cause the spread..


References:

Comments

  1. True, But I felt you are limiting the topic to that situation/event. I feel, even the emotions has a wider scope in terms of sex. Over the years, we have been forgetting our traditions & we need to reanalyze our attitude towards sex. What are the causes for this instant gratification? we need to concetrate on the forces, society (or) our lifestyle that is making us inclined to this instant gratification

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paresh,

    Awesome out of the box thinking :)...I am absolutely delighted in the way you are looking for one-ness and bringing in the perspectives.

    Love
    Shilpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not to take away the importance of what you are saying. Ability to control emotions is the final deal breaker. At the same time we also need to think about media and how every product is sexualized. When the brain is inundated from the time we wake up to the time we sleep with thoughts and images that raises passion, what will the person do? Why does the media do this ? Comes to capitalism my friend ? sex sells!!!
    if advertisers dont use sex, who will buy their products.

    we need to attack it from both the ends.... personal and systemic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice stream of thoughts. AIDS is pandemic, because we have let it to be. All we need to stop it is "patience" and being little selfish (about our own well being). :)

    william

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:08 pm

    I like your blog post. I agree with the previous comments that it needs to be dealt with at multiple levels. But mostly I support the argument that one should know what works or doesn't work for her/him. I believe in that. This is something that comes from life skills, the ability to discern what is good or bad! And we cannot, certainly cannot, blame media for every wrong attitude we have. It's the values we instill in our children. I don't mean to sound idiotic by using the word "value" - I mean "value" yourself and others, go to the extremes of protecting yourself. I remember I had asked my mom what a condom was in class 7. She told me, it is something we use to prevent unwanted pregnancies. When I came to class 9, she also told me about how condoms stop STIs too! But do we, as parents, have the balls to talk to our kids like that? I doubt it. I respect my mom for the brief time that I knew her, and I wish I can be a mom like that too. But a few comments above, the gentleman said forgetting values/traditions (or something to that effect) - I don't subscribe to the theory that one should save their flower (:D) till one gets married. But I do believe in monogamy and protected sex. This I believe can replace our heavily laden culture and save us from a lot of things. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for posting comments.

    @hari: I guess there isn't much difference in traditions, it just got updated to new version, and of-course it has to change, it cannot be same always. It isn't very much appropriate to compare present with past. Everything in present is good for the present.

    @ravi, they are just tapping into something that we sell for... emotions.

    @henri: Perfectly said about value of ourselves and others. Thanks for the comments. Liked them.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am direly missing a 'like' option out here :)

    Another thing you can add to this is

    a Persons constant quest for wanting more: We fall in love with so many people, day in and day out. And our needs are never satisfied by little, now, or today. There is always more, next time, and tomorrow waiting us eagerly.

    Lets make it a habit to be satisfied with what we have been given, and blessed with, if not with everything in life, then at least bring consistency in finding a partner 'for life'

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one sam... we always tend to want more... its a human tendency.. nothing wrong again.. but we need to know what are we asking for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarzoo to badey hi, dil mey liye baitha tha...

Aawaara main naa ban paaya...